Saturday, May 25, 2013

Laodicea 2.0

Tune: Genevan 51

These are the words of him who speaks the truth,
the faithful witness and eternal Amen.
I am the ruler of the whole creation,
the Sovereign Lord of heaven and the earth:
 “I know your deeds, they are lukewarm to me.
I spit you from my mouth – I am disgusted. 
You say, ‘I’m rich!’ Your life is vanity.
You boast and brag but you are poor and naked.

“I counsel you to buy from me fine gold
and clothes to cover up your shameful nudeness.
I give you salve to heal you of your blindness.
Repent, return to me and be consoled.
Those whom I love I warn and discipline.
I stand outside your door and I am knocking.
Unlock the gate and I will enter in!
I will sit down and join with you in eating.

“To him who overcomes, I give the right
to sit with me upon my throne, exalted.
I was victorious and in heaven seated
next to my Father and his glorious might.
Have you an ear? Then listen to the word
voiced by the Spirit to the Christian churches:
‘Ensure you hear the vows of Christ, your Lord.
His gospel promise stands throughout the ages.’”

George van Popta (c) 2013

No comments: